Tuesday, March 24, 2020

A Space For Pre-Trauma:
What Can We Do to Heal & Feel In Control

As we navigate the unchartered waters we are experiencing, I think it is important to take look at Pre-Trauma.  We talk so much about PTSD, but never look at, nor do most of us ever experience Pre-Trauma. 

Pre Trauma can be looked at as reading the headlines, watching the news, knowing that there is a crisis, then imagining people being hurt and not surviving...and not being able to do anything to stop it.  It is exacerbated by the feeling of helplessness.


If you are feeling anxious, worried, stressed, helpless, or sad you maybe experiencing pre-trauma symptoms.  We are currently living in a state of we know its coming, we are watching it slowly get here,  but we can do nothing about it.  An example is years ago I was in a car wreck. A lady hit me from behind.  I saw her in my rear view mirror before she hit my car.  I knew he was going to hit me but I was stuck in a car line, and the only thing I could do was sit, frantically watch in my rear view mirror, and brace for impact.  We are currently bracing for impact.  Which is so incredibly hard.  As humans we are fixers and doers.  If we see something bad coming our way, in most cases, we have the skills to stop it or either do something about it.  Currently we can not DO anything.  Except sit still. Social Distance.  And for so many of us that feels like...nothing.  It feels empty.  And powerless.  Sitting still doesn't feel like saving the world.  In our pre-programmed, busy, go, do fix all the things lives...it almost seems like an insult.  Which has created a perfect storm.  We have too much time to watch the train that is coming.   So what so we do?  I have come up with a few things that are helping me to feel powerful, in a less than empowering situation.  Maybe they can help you as well.

GIVE YOURSELF GRACE

Allow sad days.  Allow down days.  Allow frustrated  moments.  It is ok to have these feelings.  It is normal.  Do not try to hide them, or push them away.  This will lead to even more frustration, anger and sadness.  Find someone that you can talk to.  Share your concerns.  Cry.  Scream.  It is ok.  IT IS OK.  You do not have to have it together all the time when the world feels like its swallowing you whole.  

MOVE YOUR BODY

Move your body.  30 minutes a day.  I know I know, you have already heard this.  If you can get out and get fresh air and sunshine, while still social distancing, do so.  I promise this works wonders for the mind and spirit.  Even 10-15 minutes throughout the day is helpful. Walk the dog, take a walk with your family, start a new fitness program.  If you are inside, stretching or a short workout circuit can help.  There are 100's available online for free right now.  

QUIET TIME

You know when you make your kids have quiet time, well this is also amazing for us adults.  Sitting in a quiet space, 5-10 minutes, taking deep breaths can help to reset thoughts.  There are so many apps for mindfulness.  I use and love Insight Timer.  It has hundreds of guided meditations, or just calming music to help settle an over active brain.

DIGITAL DETOX

Get off of your device or your computer.  Get off of social media.  I put new restrictions on myself this week.  I am off all devices by 8 pm every night.  I do not look at any news until I am an hour into my day.  I stay up to date on local news no more than twice a day and national is once from a REPUTABLE source.  I skip all the doom and gloom.  I am not looking at charts of how bad things will be.  We have been told what we need to do.  Stay home. Social distance.  The charts will not change that rule.  So your power comes from protecting you and your family.  Through social distancing (yes that is the MOST powerful thing we can do) and protecting your mental health by not allowing it to lead your day.  A lot of us have extra time to be on devices.  It is easy to get sucked into so much information.  And that can feed a negative loop in your mind.  Your power comes from not allowing that into your head space.  I feel so much better now that I have done the same.

ADDRESS FINANCES

If you are unemployed or feel that things will be tight the next few months, call all lenders and creditors.  They are providing forbearance(student loans), (creditors, mortgage)payment extensions or forgiveness from 30-90 days.  Most companies are willing to work with you.  But you must call them NOW.  Your power lies in taking control of what you can control.  This is something you can do now.  Keep a record of conversations, what was agreed on, and when payments will resume.  




In a world where nothing seems to make sense, hold onto those that you love.  Find the joy in the little things everyday.  Meal times together, long walks, silly stories.  How many times have we said "If only I had some free time to....."  Many of us now have that.  When you are feeling overwhelmed and stressed, lean into those that you love and the moments you have with them.  Stay home to protect others.  Stay home to support the front line workers.  And give yourself grace. Give your family grace.  Enough for today.  Then we start again tomorrow.  




No comments:

Post a Comment